Dhanya Chatni (Fresh Coriander Chutney)
To make about 2 cups
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ pound fresh coriander stems and leaves (cilantro), thoroughly washed and coarsely chopped, about 2 cups thightly packed
- ¼ cup peeled, finely chopped fresh coconut
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons scraped, finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh hot red or green chili
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the lemon juice, water and ½ cup of the coriander in the jar of an electric blender, and blend at high speed for 30 seconds, or until the mixture is reduced to a puree. Turn the machine off and scrape down the sides of the jar with a rubber spatula. Then add another ½ cup of coriander, blend for 30 seconds, and stop the machine again. Repeat until a of the coriander has been pureed.
Add the coconut, onions, ginger, chili, sugar salt and pepper, and blend again. When the mixture is perfectly smooth, taste and add more sugar or salt if desired.
Serve immediately. If the chutney is not to be used at once, over it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate it. (the chutney may be kept in he refrigerator for about 1 week).
by : inforesep