Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam Panino
Total: 10 mins
Active: 5 mins
Makes: 1 sandwich
Ham and cheese the Italian way!
Game plan: For the best results, preheat the press, and remember that it is better to cook a sandwich on lower heat for a longer time (rather than on high heat) so that the bread turns crisp and toasty without burning. Slightly stale bread will usually hold up better in a press than very fresh bread.
- 2 teaspoons fig spread or preserves
- 2 slices ciabatta, 1 inch thick
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or other salt-cured ham such as Serrano
- 4 ounces fresh buffalo-milk mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
Preheat the press. Spread 1 teaspoon of fig spread on each slice of bread. Place the ham on one slice and the mozzarella on the other. Close the sandwich and, using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on the outside of the sandwich. Place on the panini press and grill until crispy and golden, about 4 minutes.